SURNAMES

SURNAMES: BETHSCHEIDER, BUNDY, COLVIN, JESSE, JESSIE, MORRISON, MORTIMER, SHEPARD, SMALL, STEVENS, THOMAS, VAN DE STREEK, and WALLENDAL.







Monday, July 25, 2011

HATTIE SMITH DIARY - AUGUST 1906, VALTON, SAUK COUNTY, WISCONSIN


Wednesday, August 1, Ps. 46:1, Ps. 119:13
Nice except a slight rain in am.  I did my usual work.  Tillie and Tressie went to Ruth’s so I had Al to come here to dinner.  I got a letter from Mary and one from (brother) Dan.  Picked some nice black dewberries.  Nettie is 28.  I wish she was here. Allie G. and Mary Albert came up a while this pm.

Thursday, August 2, Ps. 19:14
Nice, Warm.  Nora C. Came up in pm. And stayed to supper.  I went up to Maude’s then to Dells with Frank Shore and Nora.

Friday, August 3, Ps. 19:14
Nice day after a big storm in the night.  I got a letter from Net and one from Laura this pm.  I went to Wonewoc to bring Dan out.  Got my teeth filled, $2.75.  Ribbon 560¢, waist 60¢, India Linen 15¢.  Went to Mr. Peters and he said our bill was $67.00.

Saturday, August 4, Ps. 19:14 and Ps. 27
Nice till along in pm, it clouded up and began to rain a little.  They hauled hay all day.  I went over to the Harvest Apple tree and found some nice ones.  Oh, I wish Noah was here to enjoy them.  Pa got word today that he is sole heir to Noah’s property.  I got a letter from poor homesick Mary.  I wish she were here.  Got a dozen Wonewoc Reporters, 10¢.

Sunday, August 5, Ps. 119:133
Lots of rain in the night.  Cleared up this morn and nice all day.  I went to S.S. and then to Friend’s Church to hear dear old Uncle Joseph Coleman.  Seemed like he did the best he ever did.  So good.  I came over and washed the cans etc. and went back to eve meeting.  Went in time to have a little confab with Della.  Mrs. Monroe is to go away soon and she cried a lot.  Poor girl, Dan went to the tent meeting and took Ina Frazier.  I went to hear Joseph, of course.
Monday, August 6, Ps. 19:14
Nice tho it looked as tho it would rain some of the time.  I washed.  Frank’s baby that was real sick yesterday is better today.  Hope it will get well.  Commenced to cut the oats today.

Tuesday, August 7, Ps. 19:14
Cloudy and dull.  I picked some berries back along Noah’s west field in am.  In pm made pies and cake and Nora Canon and Carrie Woolever came and stayed to supper.  I went to Eddie’s when they went home and had a nice visit with Mrs. Van Loon.

Wednesday, August 8, Ps. 119:133
Cloudy all day.  Rain some in pm.  I picked berries in am and canned some in pm.  Got a letter from Mary and one from Laura.  Paper wrappers, 7¢.

Thursday, August 9, Ps. 19:14
Cloudy, came off warm and clouded up again and threatened a storm but got nicer at eve.  Dan and Al stacking barley on Noah’s “Frank 40.”  I ironed, got a letter from (cousin) Cinda Volk Mann.  Sent a letter to Mary and one to Mattie and a Wonewoc Reporter each to Mattie, Mary, Laura, Sam and Horace.

Friday, August 10, Ps. 119:133
Nice also warm.  Worked all day.  Cassie and Georgia came this pm.  Dear girls they.  We went after berries this eve.  Oh, I get so sad when I look over dear Noah’s farm and think how hard the poor child worked and now he can’t have any good of it.

Saturday, August 11, Ps. 19:14
Nice, worked all day.  Cassie and Georgia here.  Got a letter from Lennie and one from Alice Magaw.  Girls and I went to V. in eve.  Got my $2.68 from Y.C.  Tablets 15¢.  Soap 25¢, Pens 5¢.  Went down to Dell’s and had a pleasant time.

Sunday, August 12, Matt. 7:7
Nice.  I got my can’s washed in the morn so went to S.S. then to Friend’s Church then home with Della and had such a nice time. We went upstairs and read some old letters, mostly ones I wrote from Mich.  Mr. Coleman there and he helped get dinner so funny.  I went to church again in eve.  Mr. Coleman preached.  Mrs. Monroe preached this morn to everyone’s disappointment.  Rob’s 30th birthday.  Wish I could see him.

Monday, August 13, Prov. 16:32
Nice day.  I sort of worked and visited with Cassie and Georgia and in pm we went to V. and they stayed over.  Got candy 1¢.  Went to church in eve with Al and Tillie.  They and Willard Henderson went forward.  Had a good meeting.  Mr. and Mrs. Collins, Solly and Wilda and Susie Bert had gone the night before.  Last night of the tent meetings of the Advents.

Thursday, August 16, Ps. 55:32

NELLIE HANSON MORTIMER, Married to Simeon.

My 35th birth anniversary.  Nice, but warm till towards eve it began to storm and rain.  My 35th birth anniversary.  Nice, but warm till towards eve it began to storm and rain.  Frank Mortimer’s poor little baby died today.  I wanted to go up to see Maude but couldn’t.  Nellie Hanson came up in pm to stay all night.  She gave me a spanking.  Oh, I wish Noah were here.  My dear, dear brother.

Friday, August 17, I John 1:9
Nice day.  They finished stacking.  I did usual work.  Got a letter from Lestie.  Ans. Lennie’s letter.  Ran up to Tillie’s this eve.  Oh dear.

Saturday, August 18, Luke 16:15-18
Nice day, some cloudy.  Fine tonight.  Nellie and I went up to the funeral at 11 o’clock.  Charley Lyon preached the funeral.  We went to V. and I got 10 yds black Indian linen for a dress $1.80 and 2 spools silk 10¢.  Mrs. Horton is sick so I called up there.  Edith and Ethel came over and stayed to supper and I was so glad to see them.  They went up to Holiness Meeting at Al’s after supper.  I wanted to go but felt too sad.

Sunday, August 19, Jer. 16:21 & 17:14
Nice day.  Bert and Eddie threshed and they are coming here.  Monday.   Worked hard all day.  Tillie came down this eve and we went down and had a ride from Eddie’s to Jim’s on the water tank with Dolph.  Got a letter from Mary Harvey.

Monday, August 20, Ps. 19:14
Very warm.  We had threshers for dinner.  Tillie helped me and in the eve we went down to Ida’s and I stayed and helped her wash dishes.  Got a letter from Janie.  John Day did our threshing.  We will have them again this week to thresh the barley on Noah’s 40 he of Frank Mortimer.  Maggie McKenzie’s 14th birthday.

Tuesday, August 21, John 3:16
Nice, quite warm.  Lucy Tabor came down as her pa is sick.  Mrs. Monroe spread herself this morn so we didn’t get to hear Coleman till eve.  I went to Dell’s for dinner.  Had a funny time.

Wednesday, August 22, Ps. 119:133
Warm and some cloudy and a small shower.  I went down to Susie’s in pm and Ina Frazier came over to stay all night and after supper we went up to Frank Mortimer’s; got a letter from Mary and ans. Mary Harvey’s letter.

Thursday, August 23, Ps. 86:1
Warm.  Ina and I went to Frank’s.  Jim’s and Aunt Malinda’s this am. To take them some meat and bring ours home.  I’ve worked hard all day as the threshers are to be here again tomorrow if they can.  Ina went to Tillie’s after dinner then Dan took her home this eve.  Nellie Hanson came to dinner and borrowed $10.00 of me.  I ran up to Tillie’s this eve.

Friday, August 24, John 3:16
Cool and cloudy.  Finished threshing and I’m glad of it.  Tillie helped me.

Saturday, August 25, Ps. 147:11
Cool and cloudy.  I digged all day.  Holiness Prayer meeting at Eddie’s this eve.  I’d like to be good and go to such meetings.  I wrote to Mary today.  Stamp 1¢.

Nice till towards eve, it clouded up and we had a big shower.  Needed it as ‘twas dry.  Pa went to Wonewoc alone with the team and wagon and had a fit.  Al went over and brought him home.  I digged all day and I’m tired, and sick hearted.
Sunday, August 26, Ps. 46:1
Cloudy and rainy looking but cleared off lovely and cool about 11 o’clock.  I went to S.S. and church.  Mr. Coleman preached a good sermon.  Had dinner at Dell’s then went up to Hortons and back to Dell’s till eve.  I came home.  Met Irvin and Lena Sherman, Dell’s cousins.  Nice folks.  Lucy Tabor placed some, fine.

Monday, August 27, Ps. 119:133
Loveliest morn and day, cool, almost frosted last night.  I did a big wash and the other work.  Dear Rhoda is sick, was very bad but is better.  Oh, I hope she will be spared a long time yet.

Tuesday, August 28, John 3:16
Nice day.  I did most of my ironing.  Winnie Carpenter came a little while in pm.  I ran down to Jim’s in eve and when I came back found Rob and Net had come.  They walked out from Wonewoc.  Got a letter from Mary Harvey and Lennie.

Wednesday, August 29, Isa. 55:7
Nice day.  Net and I did our work up in am and went to V. in pm.  Called at aunt Phebe’s and Dell’s and Horton’s.  I went over to Rhoda’s.  She wasn’t as well this pm.  Lucy, Della, Little Lucy, Net and I went up on the Lime Kiln Hill this eve.  I got a letter from Mattie Thompson and a lard can from Dell, 15¢.

Thursday, August 30, Ps. 19:14
Beautiful day.  They built a dry house this morn.  Picked most of the Duchess apples.  We 4 kids went down to Eddie’s this eve.  Susie has such a nice new book case.

Friday, August 31,  Ps. 51:10
Nice day.  Worked at the apple drying.

No comments:

Post a Comment