SURNAMES

SURNAMES: BETHSCHEIDER, BUNDY, COLVIN, JESSE, JESSIE, MORRISON, MORTIMER, SHEPARD, SMALL, STEVENS, THOMAS, VAN DE STREEK, and WALLENDAL.







Thursday, September 8, 2011

HATTIE SMITH DIARY - SEPTEMBER 1906, VALTON, SAUK COUNTY, WISCONSIN

Sunday, September 2, 1906
Stormed nearly all night and rained some this pm and eve.  I went to Sun. S. and Friend’s Church.  Uncle Joseph preached a good sermon.  I went to Aunt Phebe’s and visited with Abe.

Monday, September 3, Ps. 119:133
Beautiful day.   Abe came over and took some photos of Net and I; had a pleasant visit with him while he stayed.

Tuesday, September 4, Ps. 19:1
Beautiful day and such a cool lovely moonlight night.  Pa and Dan went to Baraboo this forenoon.  Mary Albert came up this pm and Net and I went to V. this eve.  Abe gave me a nice photo of himself.  He is getting our photos along.  I ans. Horace’s folks letter.  Got a letter from Aunt Becca.

Wednesday, September 5, Ps. 46:1
Very nice day.  I went to V. in pm.  Got some of our photo postals but they are not very good.  Got one to send to Horace for his birthday.

Thursday, September 6, John 3:16
Lovely day.  I went to V. this pm.  Saw Maude, she is better.  Got a letter from Uncle Sam.  Sent Horace a letter and postal for his birthday.  Sent a letter to Aunt Becca.

Friday, September 7, Ps. 119:133
Nice day.  I made some apple jelly in am and in pm went over and helped Dell get supper for threshers.  Had a nice time.  Uncle Joseph helped so much.  Stayed all night and he gave up his room and slept on the couch.

Saturday, September 8, John 3:16
Nice but warm.  I came home before breakfast and worked hard all day.

Sunday, September 9, Ps. 19:14
Nice but warm.  We went to S.S. and to hear Uncle Joseph preach.  Came back and wrote to Laura.  Went to C.E. in eve.

Monday, September 10, Ps. 51:10
Cloudy in am, cleared off nice in pm.  Lovely sunset.  I washed.  Went to V. in eve and stayed to church.  Bloom preached in Louie’s Hall.  Got a good letter from Cuz. Mary Harvey.  Abe promised to come over tomorrow if it is nice and we’ll go up to Canon’s.

Tuesday, September 11, John 3:16
Nice day, warm, clouded up this eve and is quite stormy.  Abe and I went to Canon’s and had a very nice time.  He took some pictures.  Went over to Aunt Sarah’s and visited a while and took a picture.  I visited with Effie.  Nice time.  Came down to Aunt Malinda’s and had supper and to Jim’s, then home.  Ella Leatherberry wants me to come and work for her a year.  Rob got back last night.

Wednesday, September 12, Ps. 119:133
Cloudy and sprinkley.  Rain at eve.  Martin Mortenson’s mill was struck with lightening last night and burned.  I made some jelly and did other work in am.  In pm I went over and helped clean the lamps at the Friend’s Church.  Josie Griffith wanted me to work for her but I don’t wan to.  Went to Aunt Phebe’s and stayed all night.  Had a pleasant time.

Thursday, September 13, Ps. 19:14
Cleared off lovely in pm.  Cool.  I stayed at Aunt P’s till after dinner.  Helped do up morning work and then helped Abe develop photos.  Achsa and I swept and dusted the church in pm, then I helped get supper and wash dishes.  Mrs. Sawle and Mr. Fehland came and Mr. Sawle sang and Mr. Fehland lectured.  We were disappointed because the other 2 didn’t come but enjoyed all we heard.  Came home this eve.

Friday, September 14, Ps. 119:133
Nice and cool.  I worked in am and in pm went to V. with Nora C. and Mae Hanzlik and we had a picnic.  Abe and we went out photographing and had a lot of fun.  Wish we’d get some good ones.  Went up to stay with Tillie this eve while Al went to Fred Hutchins’s to prayer meeting.

Saturday, September 15, Ps. 19:14
Cool and cloudy and a shower at noon then cleared off warm.  I got Al’s horse and buggy and went to V. then took Abe and we went up to Canon’s and had a laugh over yesterday’s photos.  Did quite a lot of work today.

Sunday, September 16, John 3:16
Stormy looking in morn but cleared off nice then came up a big windy storm at eve.  Net and I went to S.S. and Wesleyan Church.  All the Friends came and we had a nice meeting.  Went to Aunt Phebe’s and had dinner and then Abe came over the hill and he and I went up to Canon’s.  Met Otto Hanzlik and bride who is a California girl.  Pleasant time. Came down to Jim’s and I got supper as Ida was over to Nate’s.  I started home but only got to Eddie’s where I stayed all night, warm.

Monday, September 17, John 14:1
Cloudy but quite nice till 9:30pm.  Quite stormy.  I washed and did part of the ironing.  I got a note from Dan for $100.00.  Wages = $83.79 then I gave him $16.21 to make out the $100.00  One year at 6 per ct. int.  Letter from Lestie.  Ans. tonight.

Tuesday, September 18, John 3:16
Nice but warm and muddy.  I went to Wonewoc with Rob and Dan.  Dan started for Zion City.  I got 2 ½ yds silk, 2 belts.  This pm Abe came over to supper then, he and I went back to V. and got Uncle Sam’s rig and went over after Mae Hanzlik and had a fine time and such a time coming home!  Got a letter from Lennie.

Wednesday, September 19, Ps. 19:14
Mae and I sewed.  I went to V. in eve and got braid and all over lace 30¢.  Got silk thread with tickets.  Rainy looking.  Got a letter from Cora Smith in Reedsburg and they want me to be sure to come to visit them.

Thursday, September 20, John 14:1
Still sewing.  Abe came over this eve and such a time as we had!  He stays all night.  I got a letter from Mary and one from Laura.  Mary wants me to make her a visit this fall.  I wish I had lots of money.

Friday, September 21, Ps. 119:133
Nice in morn. but a big storm in pm.  Nora C. Went to Wonewoc to meet Wilda but found her son Walter instead as Wilda was sick so she couldn’t come.  Nora gave me a lovely tatted collar and I sent to town with her for some all-over lace 38¢.  Abe went home this morn.

Saturday, September 22, John 3:16
Cloudy and muddy.  Mae and I got my sewing done this eve and went to V. to stay all night.  She only called it 3 days = $2.25.  I made her a present of a vintage table spoon.  I got rubbers, 65¢ and shirts 50¢ and paid for lace 35¢, and a card of hooks 5¢ = 40¢.

Sunday, September 23, Ps. 19:14
Cloudy this morn.  I rose and came over home before breakfast.  Went back to S.S. and church then home in pm and wrote to Janie, Lennie, and Cora and went back to V. and to Endeavor.

Monday, September 24, John 3:16
Beautiful day.  Mae and I got Uncle Sam’s horse and went to Wonewoc to get Aunt Phebe a dress.  Had a fine time.  I went to Sands for dinner and had a nice visit.  Got some beauty pins 75¢.  Abe came back with us and such a time!  We laughed a lot, then some.

Tuesday, September 25, Ps. 119:133
Beautiful day.  I chored around for Dell and Aunt Phebe.  Mae served for Aunt Phebe.  Dell, Mae and I went down to Mr. Oziah’s this eve.

Wednesday, September 26, John 3:16
Beautiful day.  We served.  Abe, Mae and I went down to Aunt Salina’s this eve then we painted the town green for about 2 hours.

Thursday, September 27, Deut. 33:27
Beautiful day.  Mae finished for Aunt P then Abe and I took her home and stayed to supper and had a nice time.  Is topped at home on the way back.

Friday, September 28, Ps. 23
Cloudy, little shower at noon.  We washed then I went up to Mrs. Canon’s.  She wants me to stay with Nora while she goes West, so I promised.  Went to V. and Holiness Meeting at Jas. Hutchins’ with Dell and back to V. to stay all night.  Ans. Ella Canon’s letter.

Saturday, September 29, Eph. 4:29=32
Nice, windy and cool.  I came home this morn.  Ironed and did a lot of odd jobs.

Sunday, September 30, Eph. 4:29-32
Loveliest, cloudless day and eve.  I wore my new silk waist – went to S.S. and Church at Friends Church.  In pm Abe and I went over to Hanzlik’s and just had a fine time.  Candy in eve and such a pleasant visit and lots of fun.  Lovely moonlight ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment