SURNAMES

SURNAMES: BETHSCHEIDER, BUNDY, COLVIN, JESSE, JESSIE, MORRISON, MORTIMER, SHEPARD, SMALL, STEVENS, THOMAS, VAN DE STREEK, and WALLENDAL.







Friday, October 22, 2010

DAVID RHODES, AUTHOR of "DRIFTLESS"

DAVID RHODES, author - lives near Valton, Wisconsin where I went to grade school - 6th through 8th grade.

The farm where my mother grew up, outside of Valton, Sauk County, Wisconsin


David Rhodes lives at the red dot on the left side, my mother lived at the dot on the right side.

The farm where my mother was born.

A view of the farm where my Grandfather Ralph Mortimer and his wife, Effie olvin lived, and my mother was born.  Outside of Valton, Wisconsin

I sent a letter to David Rhodes, author of "Driftless, " "Rock Island Line," and many other wonderfully written books. The letter is self explanatory.

March 25, 2009
Mr. and Mrs. David Rhodes

Dear David and Edna,

I just finished reading your books, "Driftless" and "Rock Island Line." I wish I had read "Rock Island Line" first, so I would have known July Montgomery when he appeared in "Driftless." I recognize the area about which you are writing - Woods/Valton, and some of the surnames (Woolever, Sloniker) are in my family tree, as is yours, through marriage.

You and I are connected through your TABOR and HORTON lines. Two Horton Sisters, Lucy, born in 1866, and Della Horton, born in 1873, connect us. Lucy (your connection) married Nelson Garner TABOR, and Della married Wilson William MORTIMER. Thus, our connection making us "cousins," related through marriages.

I'm very curious as to which farm you bought, because my MORTIMER family settled this little area. I don't know what you know about the history of Valton, but Simeon Mortimer, my great-great grandfather, helped settle Valton. The area was then called Mortimer Valley.

You don't know how excited I am to find out this information. Writing is your passion. Genealogy is mine.

You can read about us and our family on our blog: http://jimandjeannejessie.blogspot.com/

Sincerely,

Jeanne and Jim Jessie
You live in Vernon County, and I lived where the bottom star is on the right, on Beier Road. Both stars indicate my grandfather's farms. The photo of the farm was taken from the cemetery, looking southeast.
My grandfather was Ralph Mortimer. Any Mortimer around there is related to me, as are most of the people in the cemetery. The Painted Forest - originally Woodman Hall - was owned by the father of one of my aunts, Will Gibeaut. I learned to vote there when I attended the school in Valton. I also went roller skating there, and attended lots of wedding dances, and baby/wedding showers in the hall.

I attended the Wesleyan church, but we participated in youth events with the Quakers. Clarice Jackson is in the family also, and a dear friend, with whom I correspond frequently. Here's a paragraph from one of her letters to me, 1 Aug 1999. "We are going to the outdoor "Concert Under the Stars" at Valton Friends' church tonight. Alan plays in the church band. He asked us to sing a trio with him. We practiced "Mansion Over the Hilltop" with him for a few minutes after the reunion, but we were all tired so hope it sounds all right. Maybe if the band plays loud enough to cover for us, (smiling face here). Dolores Nash is playing the piano for us and David Rhodes on lead guitar and Alan bass guitar, so they sound good anyway."

``````````````````````````````

I am SO jazzed. I KNEW David Rhodes would write to me. Check out the postcard below. Jim said "you can use it for a bookmark in the books of his you're reading." I just bought "Easter House," which is out of print, but I found it on eBay, from someone in England. I've already read "Driftless" and "Rock Island Line."



David Rhodes outside his home in Vernon County, Wisconsin


No comments:

Post a Comment