SURNAMES

SURNAMES: BETHSCHEIDER, BUNDY, COLVIN, JESSE, JESSIE, MORRISON, MORTIMER, SHEPARD, SMALL, STEVENS, THOMAS, VAN DE STREEK, and WALLENDAL.







Friday, August 3, 2012

HATTIE SMITH DIARY 1900, FROM VIRGINIA MORTIMER HARE

TRANSCRIBED BY JEANNE WALLENDAL JESSIE, July 2012
FEBRUARY 1900
FEBRUARY
Thur. Feb. 1, 1900    Text Ps. 46:1
Cold with some snow.  Nice good old fashioned winter weather.  Mrs. Parish and I have had quite a visit today.  I do like her so much.  She told me of a man who always tried to use big words regardless of the fact that he was so ignorant he didn't know the meaning of them.  One slippery morn he went down town to his store & told the men that his wife's sister went out at the back door and fell prostitute.  I just laughed as hard as I could.  Haha.
Fri. Feb. 2, 1900        Text Matt. 5:7
Another cold day.  Ground Hog Day too.  I don't think Mr. Woodchuck saw his shadow very plainly but the sun did peep out once or twice.  Had a pretty good letter from Mary.  Mabel & Fred were married Sun. Jan. 28, 1900 - long life and great joy be theirs.  Ada & I went to the Entertainment for the benefit of the poor Children's show fund this pm. & oh dear, such actions!  The kids were there by the 100000s and they ran & yelled & did everything noisy they could.  I enjoyed the music (piano) and one little girl spoke a piece very nicely but the singing was anything but pleasing to my uncultured ear.  And the play was simply HORRID.  And the Lady(?) trapeze performer was very near perfect in her art but I hate such things.  I rather enjoyed the last which was two young men who performed on the cross bars.  Of course they & the trapeze lady wore tights.  House was full.
Sat. Feb. 3, 1900        Text Prov. 30:5
Warmer with some snow at intervals.  Have worked all day and am tired tonight.  Miss Rhodes was here to supper.  Ada paid me the 50¢ she borrowed last fall and she invited me to go out to the Soldier's Home next Tues. pm then to her home for supper.  Mrs. Parish said I could.  I like Ada.
Sun. Feb. 4, 1900       Text John 3:14-16
More snow fell in the night so we have lots now.  Glad of it. Tonight is as beautiful with a young moon & the bright stars & the beautiful snow.  I ran out and down the street a block or more just to drink in the beauty of it.  Claude Crittenden was here for dinner.  He is such a nice boy.
Mon. Feb. 5, 1900     Text John 10:9-11
Nice day sort of a grey day.  Up at 4 & had my wash up before 10.  Went up to Mrs. Griffin's but she was not home so I presume she is better.  Called on Ada awhile then wrote to Della and ironed some after supper.  Mrs. Parish said the other day that Watson looked as if he'd been dragged thru tofel and beaten with the smut bag.  I had a big laugh of course. spent 2¢ for postage.
Tues. Feb. 6, 1900     Text Luke 11:5-13
Nice day.  Got my ironing done early and this pm I went downtown and got Net & Mary each a ring.  Net's $1.50 & Mary's $1.75.  Hope they will be all right.
Web. Feb. 7,m 1900  Text Rom. 12:10-21
Lots warmer and raining a good share of the day.  I went down to the post office to send the rings & letter.  I sent $5 to pa leaving ten more to pay.  Oh I wish I had enough money so I wouldn't need to work out but could have all my dear ones in a comfortable home.
Mrs. Parish went to her Literary Club and they gave the question "who was Gustavus Adolphus, the "Snow King?"  He was the King of Sweden 1611-32.  Born 1594, died 1632.  He was a Protestant.  He was called the Snow King derisively by his enemies.
Thur. Feb. 8, 1900    Text Ps. 145:8-9
Just 7 months to day since I came here to work & I like it the best of any place I ever had.  Mrs. Parish went to Sparta this pm to be gone till tomorrow eve.  Last night it rained & thundered &lightened & all the snow was gone this morn and tonight it is snowing & colder again.  Been very windy today.  Oh I long so for a good old fashioned winter again.  I want to see Dan & Rob & Nat & Noah & Mary & all my dear ones.  I wonder if that time will be soon or late.  Oh for enough money so I'd not need to work out but could have a happy home with my dear ones around me.  God grant we may meet in Heaven anyway.
Fri. Feb. 9, 1900        Text Matt. 5:43-48
Quite cold and nice.  Mrs. Parish came home radiant over her visit to Sparta and tonight she did my work & paid the 15¢ admission for me to go to a lecture by Mrs. Prentice against Catholicism.  It was very good & lots of fun.  I got Ada to go with me & paid her admission. Got a letter from dear Laura.  Poor girl is or has been sick.  She invited me up there next Summer.
Sat. Feb. 10, 1900      Text Ezekiel 36:26-28
Beautiful cold day.  May & Mr. Reynolds were here for dinner & supper and spend the day.  Lee came up to supper.  I like May.  I went up to see dear Mrs. Griffin.  She is feeling better but not well.  Oh I love her so much and she likes me too.  I guess & I enjoy visiting her so much.  Ran over to Mrs. Peebles to see Grace Parkhurst who came up from Nunica this morn & is going back tomorrow. Dear girl she looks so good and wholesome.  Got a gay old letter from my good cousin Abe.  I'd like to see him.
 Sun. Feb. 11, 1900    Text Prov. 3:3-6
Very nice day.  Snow all gone.  Beautiful moonlight night.  I have been thinking how much I should enjoy being on a farm with a jolly good family who had a proper home & sugar camp & help make sugar.  Then in the fall help in husking & apple paring bees & go to country parties & spelling schools.  That would be fun if the right kind.  I'd like to make a Jack-o-lantern.  Ans. Laura's letter.  Had a good bath & some good apples afterward.  Wish I could see my dear ones now.  Wonder when I ever will.

Mon. Feb. 12, 1900   Text St. John 14:1st
Grey day.  Rain tonight.  Mrs. Parish & I have done a big day's work.  Had a good time talking about things this eve.  Mrs. Weston came over & during her conversation she told Mrs. Parish she wished she had a girl like me.  Thanks Mrs. W.
Tues. Feb 13, 1900   Text Heb. 13:5
Snowed during the night and some today.  Then the sun shone & tonight the moon is bright & it is real cold.  I got a letter from dear Mary.  Her ring suited her very well but Net's is too small so I'll have to try again for her.  Went over & spent an hour with Ada & Mrs. Weston's Mother Mrs. Johnson, a dear old blind lady.
Wed. Feb. 14 1900    Text Acts 2:21
Valentine's Day.  Quite cold.  Snow in pm.  Dear Mrs. Griffin came down for the pm.  Mrs. Parish bought some carnations.  They were pretty.  This pm I went down town & got me a thimble 60¢ and traded Net's ring back for a pr. of silver handled scissors then went & got Net a ring lie Mary's at Mr. Siegels $1.75.  Oh I wish I had lots of money so I'd not feel so horrid when I spend a few cents.  I went to the Public Library this pm.  It is in the City Hall which of course, is a nice building.  I got "Little Women" to read.  Commenced to use my Christmas spoon.  Lizzie came up to tea.  I'm sick today.  Oh I'm tired & wish I could rest a long time.
Thur. Feb. 15, 1900  Text Ps. 145:18
Just 15 years ago today since Aunt Becca & Uncle Hiram were married.  Very cold that day and also today.  I had real good success with my bread today.  Good.
Fri. Feb. 16, 1900      Text Prov. 31:30
Cold & clear today.  Mrs. Parish told me a true tramp story or two today.  I laughed & laughed.  One old burly fellow came to her back porch when she lived in Peoria & demanded her to get him some dinner & when she refused he swore that she would give him his dinner & she told him she'd see whether she would or not.  As luck would have it she was washing & had a boiler of hot suds & a big dipper handy so she took a dipper of that hot suds 7 let him it in the middle of his back.  She and he just yelled & scratched & swore & the second dipperful landed on his heels and he made such good time that he didn't require the third.  Haha. Good.  Reading Little Women best story ever was.  Spent 18 cts for thread & lining & 7 for postage.
Sat. Feb. 17, 1900      Text Ps. 51:12
This is my prayer so often.  I was thinking today of the joy I once had and longing oh so much to have it restored in all its fullness.  Cold this morning but got warmer during the day.  Oh I'm enjoying Little Women so much.  Think it is the best thing I ever read.  Hope to have one of my own some day.  Think I'll try keeping all my dimes.  Commenced yesterday.
Sun. Feb. 18, 1900    Text Matt. 7:7,8
Rather cold.  Clear in pm.  Had company to dinner - Mr. Bennett a friend of Watson's.  I was so tired & felt so bad it seemed I could have given a good deal for a good rest but instead I had to just jog along.  Oh will I ever have a chance to rest & take things easier.  Oh for the strength & Grace to be good in my heart. Reading Little Women and that always helps me ever so much.
Mon. Feb. 19, 1900   Text Matt. 6:25, 26
Nice day.  Dear Mrs. Griffin came down this pm.  I was so glad to see her.  Got my work out of the way easier than usual today.  Answered Abe's letter.
Tues. Feb. 20, 1900  Text John 6:47048
Nice day.  I got a good long letter from Saint Malinda in ans. to one I wrote her last summer.  Mrs. Crittenden came over & hugged me & said she'd rather have me to work for her than any one she knew 'cause I was good & honest.  Thanks Mrs. Crit.  I put on my velvet waist & got a good 'do up' on my hair so I look rather "uncoming" tonight.
Wed. Feb. 21, 1900   Text Ps. 139:23,24
Snowy day and tonight as I sit in my room.  I hear the wind blowing and the snow beating on the window and I'm thankful for food & shelter etc. this stormy night.  Clarence is sick today & I was his 'nuss' this pm.  Someone sent him 1/2 doz. of the loveliest red roses.  "Little Women" is the attraction & oh how I wish I could write good stories.
Thur. Feb. 22, 1900  Text Prov. 16:32
Dear old Washington's Birthday.  Quite a nice day.  Kind of a thawy day.  Considerable snow.  Ada came over this eve with her first masquerade rig on & oh horrors!  How she did look. So tawdry & dowdy with short skirts, semi-low necked waist, old red cotton trimmed hat etc. etc.  I fear she is going downhill rather fast.  Her pretty face is more harm than good to her.  Oh that she may listen to wisdom before she is ruined.  Clarence was in the kitchen and he didn't seem to approve of her costume.  No one with good sense could.  Got a postal from grace Parkhurst.
Fri. Feb. 23, 1900      Text Prov. 4:18
Nice day.  Snowing a little this eve.  God is good to all.  We had company.  Mr. & Mrs. Abe Brokaw, to dinner & Mr. Brokaw is a case.  He says the most ridiculous things in the funniest way.  They were talking about Cuba being such a perfect country according to a pamphlet Mr. Parish had rec'd.,  so warm & nice & May said she supposes they wouldn't need to wear any clothes there & Mr. B. said as sober as could be "I'd be so ashamed I wouldn't know what to do if I had to go around naked if I lived down there."  Then the conversation turned to leaves.  Mr. P. guessed Mr. B. could find one big enough.  Then Mr. B. was telling how fat he was at one time & said he felt sure he must be in the family way.  Haha.  Of course I laughed.  I went up to see dear Mrs. Griffin.  She is feeling real bad.  Oh, I fear she is not to stay with us long.  Poor little dear.  I feel so sorry for her.  Clarence's Birthday age 26.
Sat. Feb. 24, 1900      Text Luke 1:37
Snowed a good bit in the night and is cold today.  I finished reading Little Women.  How I wish I could write stories.  One thing I like is that Miss Alcott the original of Jo in Little Women never married.  I'm an Old Maid sure, and am glad that I have some distinguished company in the state of single Hesseduers (NOTE: not sure what this is).  Miss Willard & Miss Alcott at least.
Sun. Feb. 25, 1900    Text Ps. 23
Cold, clear & windy & plenty of snow.  A perfect writers day.  Mr. & Mrs. Parish went out to Mays & of course the boys were gone so I had the day to myself.  I ans. dear Aunt Becca's letter & read a good deal. A kiss is worthless until it is divided between two.  I should enjoy dividing some with my dear ones in Wisc.  wonder when I will have the pleasure.
Mon. Feb. 26, 1900   Text Isa. 1:18
Clear cold day. Did my work & other work & this pm went down to the Library to take back dear "Little Women."  Got a book on Astronomy for Mrs. P. & the Dec. St. Nicolas for myself.  Don't think much of it, so won't get another.  I'm thankful for the many blessings God has given me.  Food, clothing, shelter, warmth, kind friends, a taste for good literature and many more.  I do want to be a good girl & fully trust my kind Heavenly Father.
Tues. Feb. 27, 1900  Text Isa. 55:7
Clear & cold again today.  Just a year since I bade Aunt Becca, Aunt Phebe & Annie "Good Bye" before leaving for Mich.  I wonder what another year will bring.  God grant it may be for our soul's eternal welfare & His honor & glory.  I wish I could see my dear ones tonight.
Wed. Feb. 28, 1900   Text Jas. 1:27
Snowed all night & all day so now we have a good big snow just the kind I like.  The wind is howling around the house tonight & I'm very thankful for a good shelter.  I got a letter from Mary & Net to today.  Net was very much pleased with her ring & Ma liked her thimble real well so I'm glad but I was very, very sorry to hear that Mary is going to marry John James. She says he has become a Christian but tho' he has I wouldn't think she could bear such a fellow.  and I fear she will have a hard life of it.  Of dear.  Just a year today since I left home to come out here.  Oh I wish I could see them now & not lose my place either.  Wonewoc had a big fire & John's store came near getting burned.


No comments:

Post a Comment