SURNAMES

SURNAMES: BETHSCHEIDER, BUNDY, COLVIN, JESSE, JESSIE, MORRISON, MORTIMER, SHEPARD, SMALL, STEVENS, THOMAS, VAN DE STREEK, and WALLENDAL.







Tuesday, October 25, 2011

HATTIE SMITH DIARY - OCTOBER 1906, & MISC., VALTON, SAUK COUNTY, WISCONSIN

Monday, October 1, Ps. 119:133
Nice day.  Washed and I did my ironing then went to V.  Got supper for Dell.  Stayed at Aunt Phebe’s.

Tuesday, October 2, Ps. 19:14
Nice day.  I washed and mopped for Aunt Phebe.  Chat with Dell in eve.

Wednesday, October 3, Prov. 16:32
Nice day.  I ironed for Aunt Phebe.  Came home.  Got a good letter from Horace’s = want me to go to Lake Forest to work for $18.00 per month.  Went up to stay with Nora tonight.  Had a nice time.  Frank set his phonograph going.

Thursday, October 4, John 3:16
Somewhat cloudy.  I came home and ans. Horace’s and sister Mary’s letter.  Went to Valton and got a letter from Mae Hanzlik with an invitation to a Husking Bee at their place tomorrow night.  Abe is invited too.  Went up to Nora’s tonight.

Friday, October 5, Ps. 119:133
I helped Aunt Phebe today as she got a bad fall yesterday.  Friday, October 5, Ps. 119:133
I helped Aunt Phebe today as she got a bad fall yesterday.  Abe and I went to the Bee this eve and had such a nice time.  Jack a Lanterns greeted us and everything was fine.  We went out and husked corn a little while but soon came back and played games.  Abe and I started the Shears game and “Anybody can’t do this can’t do much” and they were a success.  Played roll the platter and Otto got it onto us abut the “it” game.  Had a fine supper at 12:30.  Place cards were of the manufactured fibre of the Yucca tree cut in “odd shapes” and the name burned on.  Got them as souvenirs.  My!  We had a nice time.  The table was decorated so prettily with Ivy and a ½ pumpkin filled with fruit.

Saturday, October 6, Ps. 19:14
Net went to Withee and I digged all day here and went up to Nora’s in eve.  Went to V. in the morning.

Sunday, October 7, John 3:16
I went over and helped do up the work at Aunt Phebe’s then went to S.S. and to hear Uncle Joseph preach.  Had dinner at Aunt Phebe’s came over to Nora’s in the eve.  Abe and I wrote to Laura.

Monday, October 8, Ps. 46:1
I came up home and did a lot of work.  Mopped, cleaned the lamps etc.  Up to Nora’s and Frank and we gals sewed carpet.  Had lots of fun. Frank and we gals sewed carpet.  Had lots of fun  Ha Ha.

Tuesday, October 9, Prov. 16:32
Came home and did up work then to Valton and back to Nora’s and we finished the carpet.  Lots of fun.

Wednesday, October 10, Eph. 4:29-32
Home this morn and at the work.  Baked cookies.  Snowed a hard squall as I was on my way to Nora’s this eve.  Pellet like flakes.

Thursday, October 11, Deut. 33:27
Ran home this morn and did a bit of washing. Got a letter from L. M. Wurth at Lake Forest and they are anxious to have me come down there.  Net got to Wonewoc.  I went to V. and then back to Nora’s.

Friday, October 12, Ps. 119:133
I did up the morning work then went to help Aunt Phebe.  Net came home.  I got soap 25¢, stationery 25¢.  Back to Nora’s this eve.  We are all talking of Maggie Mulholland’s matrimonial escapade.  She married a man with a wife and 2 kids and knew it and he changed his name for the occasion and they were all living together till he stabbed Earnie Woolever then the whole thing came out.   Pretty mess Maggie is in.  Don’t pity her.


Saturday, October 13, John 3:16
Lovely day.  I went over and skim around the work at Aunt Phebe’s.  Came home this eve.  Have been busy.  Grace Roach came to Nora’s so I didn’t have to go. Got a letter from Mae Hanzlik.

Sunday, October 14, John 20:29
Nice but dusty.  I went to church and S.S. and back to Aunt Phebe’s and stayed till eve.  Came over to Nora’s and she and Frank and I went up to Mulholland’s.  Maggie came home with her pa and ma and we were quite surprised to see her.

Monday, October 15, Eph. 4:29-32
Dusty.  I digged at Aunt Phebe’s.  Went up to Nora’s in the eve.  I enjoy my evening there so much.

Tuesday, October 16, John 3:16
Worked for Aunt Phebe.  Came over home and got a letter from Horace and Mary.  Went up to Nora’s.  We were invited to a party at Nellie Hanson’s but didn’t go.

Wednesday, October 17, Ps. 46:1
Warm and dusty.  I worked at Aunt Phebe’s then came over to Nora’s.  She made us some fine puffed Rice candy. Got my premium lit from the Y.C.

Thursday, October 18, Prov 16:32
Raining, good!  We needed it badly as ‘twas so dry and dusty.  I stayed with Nora till after dinner then rode home with Frank when he went after Mrs. Canon.  I shall miss my pleasant evenings up there.  Got a letter from Dan.

Friday, October 19, John 3:16
Very beautiful day.  I served a while then went to Valton and after dinner, Lydia came then Abe and Lydia and I went up to school.  Had a nice time.  Lydia stayed to supper and Abe took her home then.  I stayed all night.
Saturday, October 20, Isa. 55:7
Quite nice.  I stayed at Aunt Phebe’s till after dinner.  Abe tried to take a picture of me, rather poor luck.  Came home and sewed.  Got a letter from Janie and Dan’s letter, also Mae Hanzlik’s.
************************************************************************************
Sunday eve., May 3, 1908
Mrs. Horton (Eliza Ann SHERMAN) died.  Just ten years since Charlie Mortimer died.

Monday, May 18, 1908
Raining hard.  I’ve been working at Canons since in March.  Came home to stay a week.  Am busy and alone today.  Getting things in shape.  Wish I could stay at home when I want to.
************************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment