SURNAMES

SURNAMES: BETHSCHEIDER, BUNDY, COLVIN, JESSE, JESSIE, MORRISON, MORTIMER, SHEPARD, SMALL, STEVENS, THOMAS, VAN DE STREEK, and WALLENDAL.







Saturday, May 21, 2011

HATTIE SMITH DIARY - JUNE 1906, VALTON, SAUK COUNTY, WISCONSIN

Friday, June 1, John 3:16
Somewhat cloudy.  Quite nice tonight.  I went a piece with Nellie this morn.  Just kinder got read for Madison tomorrow.  Hope I can go.

Saturday, June 2,Ps. 23
Beautiful day.  Cool, calm and clear.  I rose at 4 and just 40 minutes was on my way to “Bradley’s  Corner” where I was to meet Hanson’s and ride to Wonewoc but Mr. Peterson, John and Polly came along in their new surrey so I hopped in and had a gay time.  Rode to M. in seat with Mary and Albert.  Rode to Agricultural College and heard address by Geo. Snider, Dean Henry, Rollie Harrison and Mr. Moe. 

GOVERNOR JAMES O. DAVIDSON, Jan. 1906 - Jan. 1911
Then visited milk rooms etc.  Came up town and got dinner at the same place we did last year.  Saw the dear little woman Lennie and I fell in love with last year.  Visited 5 and 10¢ store and the Historical Building.  Ethel H. and I climbed up and sat in Dan Webster’s buggy.  Visited Capital and was introduced to the Gov. Davidson and shook his friendly ‘paw.”  The rest of the time we just skylarked around.  Was down to the boat landing but too late to get a ride.  Came home starting from Madison at 8.  Rode out with Peterson’s and walked home.  Glen Mortimer was along.

Sunday, June 3, John 16:33
Warm and somewhat rainy.  I ans. Horace’s folks letter.  Got my things from Nat’l Cloak and Suit Co.  Have to send the waist back.
National Cloak & Suit Co. Catalog page

Monday, June 4, Ps. 90:14
Cloudy, quite warm and showery.  Noah finished planting corn.  I did my work.  Got a letter from Cuz. Jamie in Los Angeles, California.

Tuesday, June 5, John 3:16
Cloudy and sultry.  Sun shone part of pm.  Big storm rolled up and broke about  pm.  Ruth and baby Jimmy and Tressie are up at Tillie’s and came down this eve.  I went to V. this pm.  Got tablet 10¢, got tub 75¢, broom 35¢, crackers 5¢, brush 5¢ for Noah.  This is Tressie’s birthday 13.  I gave her a hdkf. and Ruth and her each some paper napkins.  Sent the waist back to National Cloak and Suit Co.

Wednesday, June 6, Rev. 21:6
Cleared up nice.  I washed some for Noah.  Wrote to Lestie but our carrier didn’t come so I couldn’t sent it.  Ran up to Tillie’s in eve.  All Gibbons birthday.

Thursday, June 7, Nahum 1:3
Beautiful day.  I went to V. this pm and ran my face for a $ waist at Dell’s.  Irma is down and she recited her Graduating Essay and it was the finest I ever heard.  The “Stars and Stripes” was the theme.  Tillie came down this eve.  My left leg is badly swollen at the ankle and pains so I can only walk with difficulty.

Sunday June 10, 1906
Cool and cloudy in forenoon.  Came off clear and warmer in pm.  I went to S.S. and church.  After church Warner baptized Jim and Ida and Nate and Eddie.  I stopped at Aunt Phebe’s and had dinner.  Poor Mary Baldwin Young is dead and to be buried today. And Mrs. Henderson is very bad with pneumonia and the Drs. Had given her up.  Nearly all of them are down sick.  Allie Gibbons came up this eve. and we had quite a chat.

Monday, June 11, 2 Thess. 3:3
Beautiful day.  Poor Mrs. Henderson died about 11 o’clock last night.  I’m so sorry.  Sullivan is not expected to live.  Nellie came over from school this eve and we went over to her the Badger Auto Quartette sing and lecture but their auto broke down at Ontario so they won’t be here till tomorrow.

Tuesday, June 12, Ps. 119:133
Beautiful day.  We went over on Wilson’s hill and had our picnic, but the Badger Auto Quartette didn’t come which was a big disappointment.  In the pm we went to Mrs. Henderson’s funeral.  A Dunkard preacher preached the funeral.  She would have been 44 years old next Sept.  Her last words were “Peace, sweet peace in God.”  It was such a sad funeral.  I had Dell ask Mr. Coleman for one of his photos for me and he granted my request on condition that I would give him a lock of my raven tresses so I gladly accepted and now I’m the proud possessor of his photo – good.  After the funeral Nellie came over and stayed to supper then I went down thru Hamburg’s woods with her and got lost coming back.  Had such a time getting back to the road.

Wednesday, June 13, Eph. 4:29-32
An ideally beautiful day.  I did wash.  I did get a letter from Mary, Lennie and Mamie.  All well and having good times.  Got stamps 10¢.  Commenced a letter to Mary, Mamie and Lennie.
Thursday, June 14, Prov. 15:1
Nice cool cloudy day.  Rained a very little this pm.  I finished my letter to Mary, Lennie and Mamie and sent it.  Picked a nice mess of strawberries in Noah’s patch this pm.  Oh, I wish I could see Horace’s today and every day.

Friday, June 15, John 20:29
Cloudy and some little sprinkley showers occasionally.  I ironed.  They got the Telephone wire today.  Hope it will soon be up so we can talk.  Got a nice letter from Lestie and another from Nellie.  N drew 2 pictures and sent in her letter.  She wrote such a funny letter.  Mary’s second daughter born at 6 p.m.

Saturday, June 16, John 3:16
Warm and clear.  We got our telephone in this am and Eddie got his in this pm so we have had lots of fun telephoning.  Nellie came over from her school and is staying all night.  I got a letter and $ from the National Cloak and Suit Company for the waist I sent back.

Sunday, June 17, Ps. 37:3
Warm and clear.  I went to S.S. and to Friends Church to hear Mr. Coleman.  Ethel Hutchins came home with me and we had quite a nice time as dad was gone to Spurriers.  Henry and Noah finished running the line over and connected it to Henry’s phone so we 3 can all talk at once.  I wish they hadn’t done it on Sunday, tho.  Ethel and I went to church this eve.  Mr. Coleman preached so good both this morn and tonight.  He is going away next Thursday and I’m so sorry.  Al got a new buggy today.  This is Ethel Hutchins birthday.

Monday, June 18, Deut. 33:27
Clear, calm and warm.  I did up my morning work and mended some and Tillie came down a while in pm.  I worked a bit on my rug.  This eve she and I took Henry’s old Charley hoss and their new rig and went to V.  Such a treat to ride.  I got my Y.C. and Dell gave me one of Lucy’s photos.  I got the check cashed (from the Nat’l Cloak & Suit Co) and paid Della for my waist.

Tuesday, June 19, John 3:16
Foggy in morn, big rain in pm.  Got a letter from Lennie and a photo from Lestie.  Ans. her letter.

Wednesday, June 20, Ps. 119:133
Quite nice this morn but clouded up and rained a lot in pm.  I got a letter from Mary.  She has another girl 10 ½ lbs. And said I might name it.  Fay Kid stopped here while it rained.  Got stamps 6¢.

Thursday, June 21, Ps. 119:133
Cool and a drizzly rain all day.  I’ve got a terrible cold.  I sent a letter to Net and Mary and one to Lennie.  Noah, Henry and Eddie are working at the Telephone line from Valton to Henry’s.  Mr. Coleman went away this morn.

Friday, June 22, John 3:16
Cool and cloudy and some rain.  I didn’t do much as my cold is so bad.  Finished my rug I commenced January 17.  It is the nicest one I’ve got.

Saturday, June 23, Ps. 19:14
Warm and clear.  I did my work with difficulty as I’m really sick with my cold.  Mary Albert and Canon’s and Mulholland’s got their phones in today.  Got a funny letter from Rob.

Sunday, June 24, Ps. 16:32
Warm, clear in am.  Cloudy in pm.  I am still miserable from my cold.  I wrote to Janie.  Didn’t go to S.S.  Camp meeting is running at Bethel.

Monday, June 25, 1906, Ps. 19
Quite nice till this eve it is rolling up for a storm.  Wish it would clear off nice.  Tillie and I went down to Susie’s and had a lot of fun with a laughing camera this eve.  Noah worked on the telephone line today.  Old Mr. Colvin suddenly fell to the ground insensible while talking in the road today and was tho’t dying late this eve.  

Tuesday, June 26, John 3:16
Somewhat cloudy all day.  Rained quite a hard shower about 6pm.  Mr. Colvin no better.  Noah got another new tub (metal) today.  I made a batch of cookies.  Maude and Tressie came up this pm and Maude gave me money to send in Tressie’s name for the Y.C.  so now we will get a share in the $12,000 I s’pose.

Wednesday, June 27, Isa. 12:2
Rainy by spells and clear by other spells.  I went to V. with Ed this morn.  Had a little chat with Dell.  Sent in the 5th Sub. to Y.C. so Maude can have a tea set and I’ll have a share in the $12,000.00.  Got a good letter from Horace, Mary and Lennie.  Partly ans. it this eve.  Mr. Colvin died this eve.   

Thursday, June 28, Luke 21:33
Nice day, warm and breezy.  I washed.  Finished my Zion letter and wrote to Rob and sent them.

Friday, June 29, Rom 5
Kinder nice early this morn but by 8:30 it was raining a hard shower and was nice again a little while at noon, then this pm and eve it has been and is just pouring and storming.  I got a letter from Laura today.  She is 100 miles from Minneapolis keeping house for a family.  I ironed.  Old Mr. Colvin was buried today.

Saturday, June 30, 2 Thes. 3:3
Old Mr. Colvin is DENNIS COLVIN, my Great Grandfather.
Nice bright day.  I flew around and did as much as I could and in pm Tillie and I went to V.  I got 2 pieces calico 31¢ and 27¢ and candy 5¢.  Saw Ina Frazier.  She is working for Brown’s.  Irma Tabor and Winnie Carpenter are coming over tomorrow if it is nice.  Ina said Ernie said after he saw me at Madison that I was d­­ _ _ _ good looking.  I think he ought to have something done to his eyes.

2 comments:

  1. I actually currently live in Valton WI. and am fascinated with it's history since I was little. I would love to hear more and see pic. The picture that you have of the Big Store in Valton has my property in it. Please contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, email me direct at jcollects at att dot net. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete