SURNAMES

SURNAMES: BETHSCHEIDER, BUNDY, COLVIN, JESSE, JESSIE, MORRISON, MORTIMER, SHEPARD, SMALL, STEVENS, THOMAS, VAN DE STREEK, and WALLENDAL.







Sunday, March 13, 2011

HATTIE SMITH DIARY - APRIL 1906, VALTON, SAUK COUNTY, WISCONSIN

Sunday, April 1, Ps. 86:11
Beautiful day.  A chill in the wind.  I went to church.  Wesleyan Quarterly Meeting.  Miss Lewis here.  Eddie and Susie.  Mary and Nate and Ida Murdock joined church as probationers and  Rhoda joined as a full member.  I went home with Mary Albert.  Stopped at Maude’s and Aunt Malinda’s.  Oh, the sadness of none of the dear ones at the dear old home.

Monday, April 2, Ps. 27:5
Beautiful day.  I baked bread and cookies.  Sent for some crepe paper and napkins etc.  Got National Cloak and Suite Company Catalogue.  Wish I could send for just what I’d like to.  Heard a peewee for the first time this spring.

Tuesday, April 3, Num. 6:26
We awoke to the sound of thunder and pattering raindrops.  Rain over before 7 and it was warm and some sunny, tho’ not clear.  Rather rainy looking in pm.  Election day.  I went over to Allie’s and got some butter this morning.  Saw a lot of robins.

Wednesday, April 4, John 3:16
I washed, nice day.  I got a letter from Mary.  Lennie and Horace.  They like their home very much.  Henry and Allie got a letter from Horace and he sent a newspaper clipping about Dowie and said it was true and that Dowie is an old rascal.  Allie feels very bad.  I went to V.  Wrote to Horace’s this eve. 

NOTE FROM JEANNE: Taken From: History of Valton, Written by Gilbert Mortimer
"The Zion City Migration


After reading a diary written by Hattie Smith in the years 1905 and 1916, I obtained some information about the stir around Valton at that time. About the wonderful opportunities being offered at Zion City. It was advertised as a clean city, free from worldly pleasures. Thomas Hollingshead was one of the first to move there from Valton and became an enthusiastic supporters of the Zion Church called Christian Catholic Apostolic Church. It was founded by Alexander Dowie. Thomas Hollingshead wrote to different ones telling them about the advantages in Zion. A number of people talked about moving there. Horace Harvey rented his place to James Mortimer and planned to go there in the Spring (1906). Al and Tillie Jackson were planning to go also, but at the last minute they found a farm to rent near Valton. Able Mortimer had a sale, March 22 and was also going to Zion. People who were looking toward the possibility of moving to Zion City received a shock letter in 1906 when they heard the news that Alexander Dowie had betrayed the people. Horace Harvey sent a newspaper clipping and told of Dowie's downfall."

Thursday, April 5, Ps. 37:3
Snowing this morning!  Sun came out about 11:00 and took it all off.  Cloudy and rainy looking this eve.  I ran over to Allie’s this eve before supper.  She is still very sad over Dowie’s downfall.  Sent the folks their letter today.

Friday, April 6, Ps. 19:14
Nice day.  I swept upstairs and in my room and the front room and had just got done when Nellie Hanson came and I was very glad to see her.  She stayed all night an we had lots of fun.  Talked till 3am tomorrow.  Lovely moonlight.  Sent Lestie a letter today.  Nellie came from her school in the Hanzlik district.  She boards at Feldtman’s this term.

Saturday, April 7, Ps. 51:9
A lovely morn and am.  Somewhat cloudy in pm.  Quite warm.  Nellie went home this morn.  I went to V. in pm.  Saw Edie Tabor Chase and her baby, Helen.  Sweet baby.  Mary Albert and Nellie Hanson and Edith and Edna Hutchins were at the store.

Sunday, April 8, Ps. 23
Rainy day so I’ve been at home all day.   Read and wrote to Laura.  Wish my day dream would come true just as I’d like to have it to.

Monday, April 9, Eph. 4:29:32
Rainy in am, cloudy and rainy looking in pm.  I ran over to Allie’s and up to Aunt Malinda’s this pm.  Had some maple syrup at Aunt M’s.

Tuesday, April 10, John 3:16
Nice day.  Light clouds.  I got a letter from Lennie and one from Tillie.  Went to V.  Bill Davis is dead.  Allie G. and I had a great visit with F. E. W. looking at his snapshots on the street.  Got pens 5¢.  Got my order from Dennison Mfg. Co.

Wednesday, April 11, Ps. 19:14
Warm, a nice day after all.  Bill Davis was buried this pm.  I went to V. but was late so didn’t go to the funeral.  Got my Y.C.  Henry G. got a paper from Horace’s and it did scare Dowie.  My!  I wish I knew the exact truth on both sides.  Wish I could have Mamie up here tonight.  Lennie said Mamie was rather dumpish and said she was homesick and lonesome.  Dear child.  I hope she won’t get sick.

Thursday, April 12, Ps. 37:3
Quite warm and windy.  Some what rainy looking but nice after all.  I wrote to Horace, Mary and Lennie and had to jerk it off short because the mail came earlier than usual.  Got a letter from Mary.  They have all been sick. Are not going to Rob’s till Sept.  Oh, I wish I had lots of money.

Friday, April 13, John 3:16
Rained a little in the morn.  Cloudy and somewhat windy.  Cleared up at evening.  I sent Mary a letter.  Nellie came on her way from school and stayed all night and we did have such a picnic.  Laughed till we nearly went u-p.

Saturday, April 14, Ps. 51:10
Cloudy, cool and misty and windy all day.  I did my work and ran over to Henry G’s after butter this pm.  Dowie is all the talk.  Oh dear, I wish lying would cease.  I wish I knew the exact facts on both sides.
Sunday, April 15, John ll:25
Easter.  Cool, cloudy till afternoon, then cleared up nice.  I went to S.S. and church.  Jimmy Mortimer and Abe Good joined the Wesleyan Church on probation and Aunt Malinda joined in full.  Went to Aunt Phebe’s far dinner.  Stayed quite a spell.

Monday, April 16, Ps. 119:133
Very fine day.  Noah had me write and offer Al $30.00 a month and board and Tillie do the work.  For my part I hope they will accept it but don’t expect them to.  Ran down to Susie’s alittle while this pm.  Wish I could see Horace’s folks tonight.

Tuesday, April 17, John 3:16
Nice day.  I diggled around at my rug what spare time I had.  Went over to Henry’s in the eve.  They ahd a letter from Horace.  Also a “leaves of Healing” and I guess Dowie had sinned.  Wish he would do right and things would all come right.

Wednesday, April 18, Eph. 4:29-32
Nice day.  I wrote to Janie today.  Got a letter from Lestie also Y.C.  Went to V. this pm.  Wish I could run down to Horace’s this eve like I did a year ago and so many times in the past 3 years.  Hope I’ll soon get a good letter from them again.

Thursday, April 19, Ps. 119:133
Cloudy and a little rain in the morn but sun came out and tis breezy and warm.  I ans. Lestie’s letter.  Got one from Tillie.  Susie came up this pm.  Jim and Ida were married at 7pm at Warner’s this eve.

Friday, April 20, John 3:16
Nice day.  Quite warm.  I swept up stairs, cleaned my room up and the front room.  Baked a cake and bread etc. etc.  Nellie came and stopped to supper and I went as far as Bert’s and we had quite a visit there.  She is such a dear.

Saturday, April 21, Micah 7:19
Warm, cloudy, but sun shone about half.  Sort of changeable.  I did my work and went to V.  Al and Till came down.  I wish they would decide to stay here this summer.

Sunday, April 22, John 3:16
Beautiful day and rather cool.  I went to S.S. and church.  In the eve I went up to see Tillie.  Had a pleasant time.  Noah bought an old ‘hoss’ from Tom Canon for $30.00.

Monday, April 23, Eph. 4:29-32
Beautiful day.  Al and Tillie came up and decided to fix up Noah’s home and live there and Al will work 7 months for Noah.  Willis Hanson brought the dipper I ordered, 20¢ and I bought shoe laces of a peddler 5¢.  I’m glad Till and Al are coming.

Tuesday, April 24, Rev. 22:17
Nice but quite warm.  Al helped Noah.  I went to V. in am and got groceries and a letter from Uncle Sam and Aunt Eliza.  At noon got 3 letters, one each from Net, Laura, and Horace and Mary Harvey.  Mary wrote 15 pages and Horace 3.  My!  They can tell lots.  I enjoy their letters so much.  Yesterday a young fellow came and took the head of the machine to Wonewoc to clean and repair.  Will be $2.00.  Bring it back Friday.  I went to Allie’s after butter this pm and told her the most important news.

Wednesday, April 25, Isa. 1:18
Hazy and warm and windy and somewhat cloudy.  I wrote to Horace’s and sent it today.  Al is helping Noah.  Got a letter ready to send to the National Cloak and Suit Company for a skirt $8.00 drop skirt $ 1.75, and shirtwaist $1.00.  Hope they will be O.K.

Thursday, April 26, John 3:16
Cloudy but not any rain.  Noah, Al and glen went to Wonewoc after Noah’s apple trees and Al’s furniture.  I sent $10.75 for the skirt etc.  Sent Mary a box of things and wrote a short letter.  Sent some crepe napkins to Lennie.  Got a letter from Lestie.  She is in Dixon, Ill.  Going to college.  Called on Ida this eve a few minutes and went to V.  Got Y.C. and some morning glory seeds and nasturtiums from Laura Gibbons and Bessie H.

Friday, April 27, Deut. 33:27
Nice day, warm.  We need rain.  Aunt Malinda, Tressie, and Tillie worked at cleaning Noah’s house.  Al worked here.  I went down to Ida’s when they went home.  I cried a lot to day from lonesomeness because Horace’s are gone.  Oh, I do wish I could see them.

Saturday, April 28, Eph. 2:8
Threatened rain, thundered a little and just about noon it rained a nice shower, cool.  Noah took up the well so now maybe we can have some water without going up to Noah’s after it.  Tillie worked at cleaning her house.

Sunday, April 29, Ps. 51:20
Cool and cloudy.  I went to S.S. and Church and stayed over to Endeavor and missionary meeting and Nellie Hanson came home and stayed all night with me.

Monday, April 30, Isa. 50:9
Nice day.  I went over to Nellie’s school with her.  Went to V. in pm.  Got apron 25¢.  Wish I could repeat the pleasures of a year ago today.  Al and Tillie are about settled.  Noah plowed the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment